Today…actually this story really starts yesterday. Yesterday, I woke up and my nifty little “girly app” on my phone informed me that my “girly friend” was on her way to visit this week. Went to the bathroom and yep – she was on her way. That’s as graphic as i’m going to get. Today, I woke up, went to the bathroom, got ready to go see my client for status and had a cup of coffee. I was about two sips in when it occurred to me…my girly friend had checked out early. Strange. Your daddy and I were trying to get pregnant so I thought – maybe? Maybe i’m pregnant?? Well first thing’s first – coffee down. Next, I took a test. I’m pregnant. It caught me off guard. I was happy, surprised and very scared. The events of the past few days started to run through my mind. The week before I had a glass of wine, fell backwards into the ball pit (sort of in that order…and yes, mommy is a bit of a clutz)…not to mention the coffee I was sipping minutes ago…I started to worry. A lot. I wanted to call my best friend for comfort – but crying and panicked on the phone was not how I wanted to tell the news to that friend – your daddy.
Called the doctor and chatted about my concerns – she calmed me down – feeling a lot less panicked. I met my client, went home, took another test – still pregnant. Feeling less panicked and way more excited. I started to think about how I wanted to tell your daddy. I didn’t want to do anything too theatrical but also didn’t want to just blurt it out. I drove down to Rosti over lunch and asked to speak to the manager (my accomplice for the big reveal). I told the manager that my plan was to come here for dinner that evening and that I would like the waiter to ask, “Are you guys celebrating anything special this evening?” To which I would reply, “Yes, we are pregnant.” Simple, unexpected and the right blend of drama and blurting it out. My accomplice, err, the manager was very excited as well.
Now the tough part: convincing your daddy to eat out at Rosti tonight. The tougher part: keeping the secret to myself until then.
- 3:00 – Your daddy calls. He says, “I’m having the best day today. Let’s go out to eat. How about Rosti.” Me: “Rosti? Really? Okay, sure.”
- 3:15 – Hung up the phone – thought to myself, wow, that was too easy! Then, I thought…wonder if he also has a surprise happening at Rosti – haha!
- 4:00 – Told Brownie. I couldn’t help it. I had to tell someone. She was….excited??
- 5:30 – Your daddy got home, we packed Dylan into the car and headed over to Rosti.
- 6:00 – When we pulled up, I jumped out to get a table (and let my accomplice know that “it’s go time”) while your daddy parked the car.
- 6:15 – This is it. We’re sitting down at the table. Your daddy is on cloud 9 after a great day and saying we should have a glass of wine. The waiter walks up. “Welcome to Rosti, what can I get for you to drink?” Your daddy said, “Can we see a wine menu when you have a sec? And 2 waters with lemon would be great.” Waiter, “Not a problem. Are you guys celebrating anything special this evening.” Before I could answer your daddy jumps in, “Just a great evening with my family after a great day at work.” Me, “And we’re pregnant.”
- 6:20ish – Your daddy is stunned. Success!! I repeat the news again. At this point, I also ask the overzealous waiter who is still RIGHT THERE to give us a minute. Your daddy got up, cried, gave me a big hug and kiss and I told him the news again for a third time – we’re pregnant!
I don’t even remember what I ordered but it was by far the best meal i’ve ever had.