Happy Birthday Dylan – July 24, 2012

Dylan Bradley Abram – You were born today at 10:31 pm.

The adventure started this morning at 5:00 on the dot.  I woke up and was 99% sure my water broke.  Why 99?  The obvious sign was there – a puddle – but I wasn’t feeling contractions.  I woke your dad up and said, “Mike, I think my water broke.”  He shot up, fully awake and excited – “Really? Oh my gosh, we’re going to have a baby today!”  I responded, “Either my water broke or I have a really embaressing problem.”  He was SO calm and organized about the whole thing.  Me?  I was freaking out.  You see honey, mommy’s a planner.  Mommy had about 10 things on her list that she still wanted to do and was frantically trying to figure out how to finish all of them in the next hour.  I narrowed my panic items to 2 main concerns – my doctor was out of town and I didn’t finish signing up for Viacord.  But, first thing’s first – we needed to get to the hospital and confirm whether or not I was pregnant.  We both took a shower, double checked the hospital bag and took off for the hospital.  I cried nervous, excited, anxious tears the entire way.  Your Dad?  Mike Tyson couldn’t smack the smile off his face.

When I was in class, they mentioned that it was possible to “miss” your water breaking.  For example, if you were going to the bathroom or in the shower, you might not notice.  I don’t see how this is possible.  Water kept coming out…for hours.  It had been an hour since I first noticed my water had broke and fluid was still coming out.  By the time we got to the hospital, I was very confident that this was it and not me having “an embaressing issue.”  Luckily, the day before, I made my ultrasound appointment and as part of that had to pre-register with the hospital.  By 7:00 it was confirmed – my water broke and we were in labor.  One hiccup – I was 1cm dilated.  This was going to be a LONG day.

Things all sort of worked out.  Yes, my doctor was out of town.  But towards the end, I wasn’t too fond of him anyways.  Plus, I wanted a female from the get-go.  The nurse staff raved about his partner, Dr. Mary Olender which made me a lot more comfortable.  I really appreciated that she came by early to meet me.  And Viacord?  The hospital had an extra kit so we called to finish the enrollment process and were all set with cord blood banking.  Your Gammy, Grandma and Linda were SUPER helpful in helping me cross a few more things off the list like picking up nursing bras, helping with Nana Brownie, being at the house when the air conditioner guy came, rescheduling the drop-off by the wedding photographer and straightening up so we could come home to a clean house.  We had a jam-packed day organized between work and preparing.  Speaking of work, Mike’s office was throwing him a surprise shower at the office that day.  It was a surprise alright!

I got some medicine to help me dilate (I don’t remember what it was called but I needed to have that before having petossin for the contractions).  I was set up in the “Labor/Delivery” room which is the room I would both wait and later deliver you in.  I slowly started to feel contractions.  I was feeling antsy so I took a walk with Mike around the floor.  Then the contractions weren’t so slow.  They were intense and they hurt.  When we checked in, the nurse asked what my pain level was.  She asked, “1 is nothing and 10 is feeling like someone is cutting off your leg.”  At this point, I felt the first cut.  It had been about 10 hours and I requested the epidural.

The anesthesiologist came and described what he was going to do.  He stressed the importance of not moving.  Move?  I was scared to breathe.  At one point, his paper grazed my back in a way that made me have a quick reflex.  In a reaction to my involuntarily movement, he yelled “DON’T MOVE, DON’T MOVE!”  His yelling made me cry hysterically.  I was so scared that I was going to unintentionally paralyze myself.  I didn’t mean to move, it was a reflex.  Your gammy was in the hallway and said she even jumped when she heard him yell. Then, psychologically preparing myself for the catheter and then hearing the dreaded news after 10 HOURS – I’m only 2cm dilated.  10 hours and only 1 more cm?!?  I was super discouraged at this point.  Luckily, the epidural quickly did it’s job.  If there was a fire, i’d have to run out on my hands because I had no feeling in my legs.

4 hours later and the nurse noticed that I had “my show” (i’ll spare you the details).  I was so excited, I thought for sure I was going to be 4 or 5cm dilated.  She checked, which is super uncomfortable.  She was taking a while so I started yelling, “Are you done?  Are you done??”  She responded, “I just want to be sure…”  Me: “YOU’RE SURE, YOU’RE SURE!!”  Then she calmly said, “I’m double checking because I think you’re at 8.5cm.”  Oh my gosh!  10 hours for 1cm and 4 hours for 6.5cm!  It hit me at this moment – we’re about to have a baby!

Everything moved really fast at this point. 2 hours later and it was pushing time.  One hour of screaming and pushing later and you were here.  It was a beautiful moment that i’ll always remember followed by many more beautiful moments.  You came out crying, they put you on my chest, skin-to-skin, and you immediately stopped.  They picked you up and you started crying again, put you back on and you stopped.  You know who I am and are comforted by me!  They gave you to your daddy and you started crying.  He started talking to you and you stopped and stared at him – you knew his voice!

After spending some time just the three of us, we invited the grandparents in and we introduced you, Dylan Bradley Abram.  7 pounds, 6 ounces, 19 inches, full head of hair, perfect and all ours!  Your daddy and I love you so very much!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s